Pages

The Songs I Cannot Sing

Sunday 5 April 2015

"There is music in my soul today, 
A carol to my King,
And Jesus listening can hear 
The songs I cannot sing."

When I was younger, I remember hearing the story of a young girl that had extreme difficulty in communicating because of physical disabilities. One day, she was able to share with her teacher her love for this song, particularly the third verse. Jesus listening could hear those songs that she could not sing. She knew that He was aware of her and had great things in store for her. (It's seriously a tear-jerker... For me, anyway. Find the story HERE.)

From the time that I first heard that story, this song (found in the LDS Hymnbook) has held a special place in my heart. However, it's been only recently that I've begun understanding this verse more deeply on a personal level. 

'The songs I cannot sing'. What are these songs that we can't quite voice?
They may be hurt, sorrow or disappointment. Songs of an unrealized dream, an unmet goal, an aching insecurity. Songs of loneliness, weariness, or longing for someone to understand. And, of course, the list could go on and on. This applies not only feelings of negativity and doubt, but the Lord also hears me when I try to walk by faith. He hears me when I try to be better, to overcome, and to be like Him. In the times that following the Spirit may lead you to make a choice that you don't necessarily understand, He hears and understands. 

The words of this verse have been etched my heart lately. They have been a great source of peace and comfort. No matter what I experience, what I feel, or what I may lack, I am never alone. The Savior of us all has felt our pain and our sorrow. He is the comforter, the Redeemer and the Prince of Peace. And because of Him, there can be music in my soul today. There can be sunshine.


I am reminded of the words of Elder Jeffrey R. Holland:
"Brothers and sisters, one of great consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so... Trumpeted from the summit of Calvary is the truth that we will never be left alone nor unaided, even if sometimes we may feel that we are. Truly the Redeemer of us all said: I will not leave you comfortless: [My Father and] I will come to you [and abide with you]."

I love this Easter season and all that it represents. Christ is risen! He lives. I know that He lives. And because He lives I am not alone. Because He lives I can overcome. Because He lives "there are no true endings, only everlasting beginnings".



2 comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your testimony! It brought warmth and joy to my soul this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. You are wonderful and I'm so glad we're friends.

    ReplyDelete